Sunday, November 6, 2016

Project #5: Yarn Bombing

From Wikipedia:

Yarn bombing, a.k.a. yarnbombingyarn stormingguerrilla knittingkniffitiurban knitting or graffiti knitting is a type of graffiti or street art that employs colourful displays of knitted or crocheted yarn or fibre rather than paint or chalk.

Yes, you read that right.  Here is an illustration of a yarn bomb on a tree, but there are other ways to do this. I've seen them on other public structures such as park benches and bike racks:



On Ravelry, I came across an organization that I used to work with (Middle Way House in Bloomington, Indiana) MWH has been planning a yarn bomb as a fundraiser. They sent out an appeal for knitters' contributions. So I collected an assortment of swatches and put them (and a tenner for good measure) in the mail:

I got back a nice note from the executive director, who remembered me after all these years . . .

Just now, I looked for their project on Ravelry, but could not find it. Maybe they didn't get enough momentum to do the yarn bomb.  I hope that they didn't throw my swatches away.  If so, I declare that the first official "Swatch Botch" has occurred. Quite the opposite of the purpose of this blog.  Oh well.

Until next time,
s w a t c h m o n s t e r 

No comments:

Post a Comment